Customs Compliance Specialist
Department: Supply Chain
Reports to: Director, Supply Chain
Reporting to the Director, Supply Chain, the Customs Compliance Specialist will perform duties related to analyzing and assessing applicable HS classifications, examining invoices, manifests and supporting documents for conformity to tariffs and customs laws. The position will be the lead in preparing all necessary customs documentation for shipments of Gay Lea imported/exported products.
· Prepare and process required data/documentation on behalf of all Gay Lea import / export shipments, including renewal registrations and tracking for expiration dates
· Assess Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HS) classification; prepare Commercial Invoices
· Effective administration of all import/export customs including Custom Duty documentation, C-TPAT & PIP (Canadian and US Federal Homeland Import Security).
· Work with internal partners and customs brokers on assessing import/export ruling information and clearance requirements to ensure timely customs clearances
· Obtain Customs documentation by contacting client/vendor/carrier when required
· Interface with Canada Customs, customers and/or field offices to affect the timely and accurate release and acquittal of shipments
· Assist Transportation Supervisor in any Regulatory matters
· Responsible for all prior notices and Customs invoice preparation
· Audit Customs tariffs
· Post-secondary education in Business or Commerce
· 3 years of relevant Canadian Customs experience.
- Must have or working towards industry recognized certifications; Certified Customs Specialist (CCS) or Certified Trade Compliance Specialist (CTCS) designations preferred
· Established background in successfully importing / exporting finished goods and ingredients within Canada, USA, Europe and Asia
· Strong knowledge of the Canadian Customs Tariff and other federal and provincial government department regulations
· Strong working understanding of CFIA, USDA and FDA regulation as it relates to customs clearance
· Knowledge of International Trade and Compliance Systems – both US and Canada
· Understanding of Valuation, Tariff classifications, Free Trade Agreements/Rules of Origin, Duty Rates, etc for US and Canada
· Previous experience with perishable food and the Dairy industry a strong asset
· Excellent interpersonal & communication skills, including written and verbal; fluent in English and French an asset
· Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Demonstrated end-to-end process knowledge of international transportation.
- Solid decision-making and demonstrated problem-solving capabilities
- Strong computer skills – experience with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) and Warehouse Management Systems (WMS).
What We Offer You:
- Opportunity to apply for membership into the Co-operative, joining in the Company’s success!
- Vibrant culture that welcomes everyone's talent, ideas and thinking outside the box
- Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and retirement savings, with training opportunities and career advancement potential!
- Bonus program rewarding company growth, profitability, and your success!
Gay Lea Foods is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in our workplace. Reasonable accommodation is available upon request throughout our recruitment and selection process.
Process Excellence Lead
"I joined the Gay Lea team looking for an opportunity to challenge myself in a rewarding environment and to further grow my skill set. What I experienced since then has been more than just an opportunity; it has given me a sense of family. The family and friendship within Gay Lea far surpasses any other reward."Read More